Wednesday, March 25, 2009

San Francisco

We are back from San Francisco, it was a blast! We had so much fun walking around the city with Aundrea and Allison. It felt as if we lived in the city for four days. I took so many pictures of our trip it was hard to decide which ones to post.

Day 1- We flew in on Saturday night, Aundrea and Allison picked us up in a "hour rental truck" and we grabbed a small dinner. We then went back to their place to relax.

Day 2-Sunday morning we woke up early and hiked up to Turtle Hill. It is a beautiful view of the city from the top of the hill. It was also a great work out. It was very windy at the top, and I thought I was going to blow off a few times.
Here are some pictures from Turtle Hill:
Beautiful view of San Francisco

Beautiful mural on the stairs

After Turtle Hill we walked through Golden Gate Park on our way to Haight-Ashbury District. We were propositioned a few times to smoke or buy weed while in Haight (which Jeremy got a real kick out of) but enjoyed the culture and characters in the area.
We then took the train downtown. I bought a supper cute pair of shoes at DSW (I can't help myself). After shopping we walked to Chinatown...it was very busy there! I bought Ellie a "piggy bank" for a souvenir and we headed back toward Union Square.
It was very relaxing to sit in Union Square and "people watch". Jeremy and Aundrea drank a few beers and we all had a good time.
We then ate at Pasquale's for dinner...great pizza!
Day 3-On Monday Jeremy and I were on our own. Aundrea had to work, so she wrote down directions for the train...I'm happy to report that I was a very good navigator and we never got lost! It probably helped that I had been there once before.
We first took a train down to the bay and walked up to Pier 33 for our Alcatraz tour. The tour was very interesting...but being surrounded by tourist got very old! I took a ton of pictures on the island to show my students. We both enjoyed the tour of Alcatraz!
Alcatraz Island

Warning!

Cell with escape route

Let me out!
Scary

We then took the train to the Golden Gate Bridge. We had both already been there, so we didn't stay long. People were surfing below the bridge, and it was fun to watch them.
Golden Gate Bridge
People Surfing (brrrrr) Day 4-Tuesday morning Jeremy and I woke up early and grabbed some breakfast together. We then walked up to the San Francisco Botanical Garden and spent some time walking through the park and relaxing on a bench. It was a great way to start the morning. The park is beautiful!
Jeremy loved these huge trees
Beautiful We flew out of San Francisco at 1:45 Tuesday afternoon.

Uncle Mike picked us up from the airport...which was so nice! No cabs, no shuttles, no paying for parking :) We took off from his house and headed home. Unfortunately we got lost and ended up in Beloit..it was pouring outside and a bit stressful. We made it home around 12:30, and I had to go in and watch Ellie sleep for a bit. We missed her so much!!! Wednesday morning I woke her up and she was so happy to see us.
Finally Home! :)

2 comments:

Carissa said...

Looks like a great trip!

Nina said...

Looked like such better weather there! I guess anything is better than Iowa ;-) Nick and I usually go on a big trip every year, but we'll see if that will happen this year! Our big trip might only be a trip to Dubuque or Pella this year! ;-)