Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Another Point for the Good Guys!

My first year teaching I was lucky enough to have Joann in my classroom. I will be the first to admit she quickly became a favorite of mine. Despite her academic challenges and her home life Joann persevered and was one of the hardest working students I have ever had. Joann was very likable to most, her downfall was that she didn't give teachers the benefit of the doubt and would be at constant battle with a staff memeber if she felt they didn't care about her. This worried me immensely for her future....fast forward 7 years....Joann has come to visit on a few occasions....but this past Wednesday she walked into my classroom and told me she was graduating the following night from Metro High School with her High School Diploma! I was thrilled to see her, and thrilled to get an invite to the ceremony. I could not have been more proud of her and all that she has accomplished! She is currently working at a nursing home and going to Kirkwood in hopes of completing the CNA program.
Me, Joann and Fanaye (another McK teacher)
With the good news comes the bad news. Three days after Joann graduated her mom passed away from an illness. This leaves 5 children displaced and without a home, thus adding to Joann's responsibility, as she is taking over custody of her 6th grade sister, 3 nieces and 1 nephew, not to mention that she has her own son. Joann will now be the provider for six children. I plan on keeping in close contact with her in hopes to help her meet her goals and complete her CNA program. I also think often of those children (2 of which are currently in my classroom and also great kids!) I worry about them all the time and hope that I can somehow help to show them the importance of staying on track, and feel assurance that they have a role model in Joann to look up to!

2 comments:

Erinn Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erinn Anderson said...

This story does not surprise me at all! Lucky kids to have you as their teacher!!